Position: Scientist I, High-Throughput Screening
Close date: Open until filled
Newormics is an Austin-based biotechnology company, offering in vivo toxicology testing services using C. elegans. Newormics is the exclusive licensee of a microfluidics-based technology, vivoChip®, that allows high-throughput and high-content analysis of C. elegans. This platform has been sold to C. elegans researchers around the globe for accelerating their image-based studies. At Newormics, we are fully committed to making significant social and economic contributions by helping to bring safer chemicals and drugs to the market with reduced development cost, time, and the number of higher-order vertebrate animal testing.
Newormics is seeking a Scientist I to join the high-throughput screening (HTS) team. In this role, you will participate in the development of the next-generation screening service offerings for toxicology assessments of novel chemicals and environmental toxicants using C. elegans. The role will require you to follow instructions and share responsibilities within the HTS team for the successful execution of project milestones in a timely manner and with high-quality standards.
In return for your commitment, drive, and enthusiasm, an attractive benefits package will be offered.
We seek highly motivated and independent individuals who can work with other Scientists and Engineers in collaboration. The candidate should have a wet-lab experience to study biological samples using established protocols. The candidate should have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and research experience.
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals and the appropriate protective wear will be necessary as directed by Newormics procedures.
- Follow high-throughput screening (HTS) assay protocols using C. elegans models
- Perform large-scale culturing and maintenance of C. elegans
- Participate in establishing new screening facilities and perform quality tests with C. elegans assays
- Perform HTS of chemicals and drugs
- Analyze images and prepare technical reports summarizing experimental results
- Follow existing protocols, make modifications as necessary, and document changes
- Collaborate with other team members in the evaluation of new technologies and assays
- Prepare detailed action items and milestones on a daily and weekly basis
- Communicate daily progress and provide feedback for the completion of assignments
- Participate in the preparation of peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations, customer presentations, white papers, and product flyers
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in relevant biological or engineering sciences
- 1 – 5+ years of industrial or academic research laboratory experience is required
- Basic knowledge of biology and basic skills of quantitative science is required
- Experience working with microscopes and image-based studies
- Good knowledge of laboratory practices, implement quality controls, and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Attention to Detail: Must continually demonstrate strong attention to detail and careful execution of tasks.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to prioritize
- Ability to review, analyze, interpret, report writing, maintain laboratory logs, and present data
- Knowledge of microscopy and/or image analysis
- Familiarity with basic statistical analysis
- Knowledge of neurobiology
- Knowledge of advanced biomedical tools, such as microfluidics or laboratory automation
- Working with cells or small animal models ( C. elegans, Drosophila, and zebrafish)
- Standard biology, laboratory maintenance, and C. elegans assays in a wet laboratory
- Microscopy work in a darkroom environment
- Image-based analysis workflow
- Must be comfortable following instructions from team members
- Work with bio-hazardous materials with proper safety equipment and SOPs
- Regular work week with non-standard night and weekend work as required to complete deliverables
- Travel to attend conferences, trade shows, and meetings
The position will be open until filled. If you are interested send a cover letter with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected, the next step will be a web-based and/or onsite interview as travel restrictions allow. The appropriate arrangement will be coordinated with the selected applicants in connection with the hiring process.
Newormics Non-Discrimination Policy:
Newormics is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.
Newormics will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, under applicable law and as Federal funding application provisions allow.